You can help prevent laptop theft and aid in their recovery by using some of the tips from Campus Police below.
- Record the make, model, and serial number of the machine and any attached devices and return the completed warranty card to the manufacture.
- Keep your laptop away from windows where a thief can quickly break the window and grab it.
- Engrave your laptop or other device and this will lead police to you should your laptop be recovered. Campus Police offers free engraving - just call us at 410 706-1408 or 410 706-6882.
- Backup your files.
- Don't leave your laptop visible in an unattended vehicle even for a moment.
- The doors to labs and office spaces should be secured whenever your laptop is unattended.
- Be careful with your laptop in the library. Take it with you when you go to the stacks or use a cable lock.
If your laptop is stolen:
- Report it to campus police immediately and have your serial and model numbers ready to provide the reporting officer.
- Immediately call your Internet service provider to change all passwords in email accounts if passwords are saved or otherwise appear in a file.
- Nacomex USA will publish the serial number on a stolen computer registry. Buyers, insurers, and law enforcement can use this service to compare laptop serial numbers in their possession with those in the registry.